The J. Richard (Ric) Schwartz Scholarship Award
Scholarship Amount: $1,000 awarded annually to Duchess, Orange, and Sullivan Counties respectively
Application Open: February 15th of each year and will remain open until filled
The mission of The Arc Greater Hudson Valley is supporting people with unique abilities to live as valued & contributing members of the community. J. Richard (Ric) Schwartz has been part of that mission for 24 years; he served as the Executive Director for twenty (20) years, until his retirement in 2023. Ric Schwartz’s dedication to providing supports to over 2,000 people with intellectual and developmental disabilities across Sullivan, Orange, and Dutchess Counties is unwavering. His respect and care for the individuals we support and his vision and advocacy for employees have touched everyone and made a positive difference in their lives. His influential leadership has been instrumental in the agency providing services that are person centered, strength-based, and empowering to the individuals supported, allowing them to live as valued and contributing members of the community. In honor of Ric’s dedicated leadership, this scholarship was designed to support full time employees, who wish to pursue their education in human services and who have shown outstanding service to the individuals we support.
The J. Richard (Ric) Schwartz Scholarship Award is supported by The Board of Directors of The Arc of Greater Hudson Valley Chapter, The Arc of Greater Hudson Valley Foundation and The Arc of Dutchess Foundation.
Eligibility and Criteria:
- Applicant must be a current full-time employee of The Arc Greater Hudson Valley, who intends on furthering their education.
- Applicant must demonstrate genuine passion and exceptional service to individuals supported during their tenure at The Arc Greater Hudson Valley.
- Applicant must currently possess a High School Diploma, GED, or College Credits.
- Applicant must be enrolled in a University, College or Continuing Education or Certificate program, in the area of Human Services. The area of Human Services should be specifically catered to working with individuals with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities. For example, OT, PT, Speech, Special Education, Health Care etc. This is not an exhaustive list, should you have program eligibility questions, please contact Regina or Nicole at the Number provided below.
How to Apply:
- Applicant must fill out the online or paper application
- Applicant must write a 250-to-300-word essay on the topic provided
- Submit evidence of your educational experience: HS Diploma, GED Certificate, College Transcripts
- Submit proof of enrollment: Letter of acceptance from the College applying/attending
- Provide 2 letters of recommendation
Scroll Down to Fill out the online application
Send paper applications via mail to the following:
The Arc Greater Hudson Valley
The J. Richard (Ric) Schwartz Scholarship Fund Committee
162 East Broadway, Monticello, NY 12701
Attention: Regina Donnelly